King Phillip II built this watchtower during his reign in 1577 to control and defend the Mediterranean coast, which was frequently attacked by pirates from the Barbary Coast. It is one of thirty seven watchtowers that were built along the Valencian coastline.
The name of the tower, “Marenyet,” honours its strategic location in a marshy area next to the estuary of the Júcar River. The coast was controlled and supervised by four soldiers or “atalladors,” who were in direct contact with another three towers (Cap del Far, Alfandech and La Gola de la Albufera), although these constructions are no longer standing.
The tower has a tapered body and was constructed in an unrefined masonry style. The structure is 10 metres wide, stands at 15 metres high and consists of a ground floor, two upper floors and a terrace with battlements. It has been completely restored and declared a Heritage of Cultural Interest. The tower can be visited and is part of the Cullera museum network.
Guided tours that explain how coastal watchtowers were used and provide information on piracy in the 16th century.
Tel. 96 173 26 43